What are scorpions?
Scorpions are venomous pests that are closely related to spiders, mites, and ticks. These arachnids have segmented bodies and long, segmented tails that curve up. Scorpions are excellent hunters. They use their large front claws to capture prey. If necessary, they use the stinger found at the end of their tails to inject venom into their prey, paralyzing it. Scorpions have many eyes but poor vision, so they rely on touch and vibrations when they go hunting. Scorpions tend to travel in groups; if you spot one, then there are likely more around. Two of the most common scorpions to invade properties in our area include bark scorpions and desert hairy scorpions.
Are scorpions dangerous?
All scorpions have stingers, and the stings they deliver are very painful. Scorpions also possess venom, and a sting may result in localized itching, swelling, and discomfort. Scorpion stings don’t usually pose a significant danger to healthy adults; however, in some people, scorpion venom will trigger allergic reactions that require medical attention.
Why do I have a scorpion problem?
Scorpions live around your home or business because, more often than not, your property provides them with an ample amount of insects, rodents, and other prey on which to feed. Scorpions have high moisture needs, and properties with dripping pipes, leaky hoses, standing water, and damp basements tend to be very attractive to them.
Where will I find scorpions?
People rarely see scorpions because they are nocturnal. During the day, they hide in cool, dark, quiet areas such as spaces behind tree bark, under rocks, under logs and fallen trees, under woodpiles, and in garden areas. Scorpions usually only move inside when following their prey or if the weather outside becomes too hot and dry. Typical entry points include cracks in the foundation, spaces under doors, torn screens, or openings in exterior walls. Once inside, they hide in places that tend to be damp like basements, bathrooms, crawlspaces, kitchens, and laundry rooms.
How do I get rid of scorpions?
Dedicated to providing our residential and commercial customers with effective pest control solutions, Evolve Pest Control will solve all of your Texas, Nevada, and St. George, Utah property’s pest problems. Our highly trained service technicians perform thorough inspections and advanced treatments to eliminate pests and prevent them from returning. Our goal is to offer our customers high-quality services that are affordable and eco-friendly, helping them to maintain a pest-free home or business. To request your free quote and get started with your service, contact Evolve Pest Control today!
How can I prevent scorpions in the future?
In addition to our professional services, the following tips will help to keep scorpions off your property:
- Dry out damp basements using a dehumidifier, and repair leaking faucets, hoses, and pipes.
- Remove things like fallen trees, woodpiles, and other excess debris from your yard.
- Make sure gutters are directing water away from the exterior of your property.
- Cut tree branches away from the exterior of your home.
- Install door sweeps on exterior doors.
- Seal up cracks and crevices in your foundation and exterior walls.
- Reduce the clutter in and around your home to give them fewer hiding spots.
- Place weather stripping around windows and doors, and replace torn screens.
- Create a barrier of stone or crushed rock between any mulch or soil and your foundation.
- Switch your exterior lighting to yellow, insect-resistant bulbs to reduce the number of insects attracted to your property.