When you’re spending time outdoors, you might notice a chirping sound that can only mean one thing. Crickets are around. This sound is the thing that these bugs are best known for, but did you know that only the males that make this noise? While you might assume that there is only one kind, there are actually many species of cricket. However, in Las Vegas, there are only a few different species that are common.
Here are some of the common area crickets and how to tell them apart.
- Mormon crickets: This species is dark grey to black, and they are known for being horrible for plants and crops. They don’t have wings and their backs have a bit of a curved appearance.
- Dark Jerusalem crickets: These are a slow-moving species without wings that have bulbous heads. They have black and yellow stripes and a bit of a humpback appearance.
- House crickets: They are usually a brown color. This species is best known for their loud, obnoxious chirping sounds.
- Field crickets: This species is a dark grey or shiny black color. They often chirp loudly on summer nights.
Are Crickets Dangerous?
The main reason most people don’t want to deal with crickets is because of the noise. Most crickets, but especially certain species, can chirp very loudly and the noise can feel incessant. This can make it hard to relax and enjoy your home and often keep people up late at night as the noise keeps them from drifting off. While the obnoxious noise is definitely a factor for wanting to remove these pests, there are also other reasons you don’t want them around. Some species can chew on fabrics and ruin items, and others are bad for crops and plants.
However, the biggest reason that some crickets are considered dangerous is that they can spread diseases. And while most aren’t serious, they can impact humans and leave them with painful sores.
How To Prevent Crickets
Because crickets are such an unwelcome guest in your Las Vegas home, there are some things you can do to try to prevent them from becoming an issue. While it’s not always possible to completely prevent any pest, there are a few steps you can take to make your home less attractive to them. Here are some of the best prevention methods:
- Seal cracks and crevices in your home’s foundation.
- Fix any holes or tears in screens.
- Avoid clutter that provides places for them to hide.
- Reduce excess moisture in your home by fixing leaky pipes and faucets.
- Get help from the professionals.
How To Keep Crickets Out Of Your Home
If you’re dealing with crickets in or around your Las Vegas business or home, the best way to get rid of them and prevent them is to get help from the professional pest control team at Evolve Pest Control. We are here to develop an ongoing relationship with you to help you with prevention steps as well as removal. Crickets are just one of many pests to prevent and control in the Las Vegas area. Give us a call today to find out more and to get started.