Humans aren’t the only creatures to venture to the far corners of the world—so have pests. Indeed, it’s often our activity that directly spreads and contributes to pest populations, which is evidenced by the American cockroach. This common invader demonstrates exactly how pervasive a pest problem can be, and how dangerous they are.
American Cockroaches: What To Know
Despite their name, American cockroaches aren’t actually from this side of the world. Instead, they originated in Africa and the Middle East, carried to the New World by trading vessels. So inextricably tied to human activity are these pests that they’ll even follow us across oceans! American cockroaches also happen to be the largest species of invasive cockroaches in the world, though there are many common varieties of these invaders. That’s why every Las Vegas property owner needs to know how to spot the signs of an infestation before the larger problems that cockroaches cause can occur.
How Dangerous Are They?
Cockroaches aren’t just diligent at invading human properties and living spaces, they are also dangerous and destructive pests. All of the following are problems caused by cockroaches:
- Contamination: Cockroaches are scavengers that will chew through food packaging and crawl all over food or surfaces where we cook and eat. They not only track germs around, but they will also leave their eggs and skin sheds near sources of food.
- Damage: Other than their chewing, cockroaches can cause property damage in other ways, too. Their urine and feces can stain walls and fabrics, as can the streaks that their oily bodies leave behind.
- Disease: Cockroaches are carriers of some nasty diseases, like salmonella and plague. They can spread these through their droppings or by contaminating surfaces with their bodies.
What Attracts Cockroaches To A Property?
To avoid the serious side effects of a cockroach infestation in Las Vegas, you have to take steps to prevent cockroach invasions from forming in the first place. The way to do that is by addressing the following factors that attract roaches and provide them with safe havens around your property:
- Food storage: Cockroaches will find food items that are left out or in accessible packaging. Take care to store your food securely and deep clean for crumbs and spills regularly.
- Trash storage: It won’t matter how clean your property is if cockroaches can access your garbage cans, both inside and outdoors. Make sure your bins are well secured.
- Clutter: Cockroaches use old boxes, yard trimmings, stored furniture, and a host of other common items as nesting grounds and shelters. Address any excess clutter, especially in the dark storage areas of your home like basements and crawl spaces.
Don’t Waste Time — Turn To The Pros
While you can certainly get a head start on addressing those factors that attract cockroaches, the one thing to remember is that these pests are experts at infiltrating and hiding. Cockroaches feed off our food and waste and then multiply around our properties, and even clean and well-maintained structures can end up with an infestation. Only professional treatments can truly keep them out and fully eliminate them once they’re holed up.
If cockroaches aren’t already a problem, it’s a great time to make sure your property is truly pest-free. Give Evolve Pest Control a call today to schedule an inspection and get a free quote on all of the great pest prevention and elimination services we offer. If cockroaches are already there, don’t wait to act or try and use ineffective DIY solutions, turn directly to the experts for residential or commercial pest management. Let the friendly staff at Evolve Pest Control get started on a comprehensive pest control plan for your property today.