There are many insects and creatures that people fear. Are earwigs one of these creatures that evokes fear in you? Earwigs are creepy-looking insects that have a reputation for crawling in ears while someone is asleep. Other than that, most people know little about them. Read on to get the skinny on these creatures, and how Evolve Pest Control can protect Nevada residents and businesses from them.
The Appearance, Behavior, & Risks of Earwigs
Earwigs range in size from 1/5 to 1 inch long. Their reddish-brown bodies are flat and slim. Though they have two sets of wings, some are unable to fly. Two long and sharp-looking pincers extend from their abdomens. They use these parts for self-defense, reproduction, and to catch fellow bugs for feeding. During these processes, a liquid with an unpleasant odor is released. Should you be pricked by their pincers, it will likely result in a light scratch only. There will be minimal pain. As for these critters slipping into ears, that is highly unlikely, unless you are sleeping on the ground.
Earwigs aren’t a threat to humans or animals, but they are a threat to landscaping and crops. They flourish around organic matter and consume deteriorating vegetation, plants, and sprouts. Areas that are cool, moist, dark, and quiet are ideal for their egg production. You may find these creatures in mulch and flowerbeds and beneath logs and rocks. Here are some other key details about earwigs:
- They are nocturnal.
- They move very fast.
- They tend to come into homes during dry weather.
- They usually will settle in laundry rooms, bathrooms, and kitchens, but will go anywhere.
- Infestations are rare, but earwigs can gather in large clusters.
Earwig Prevention Techniques
In order to keep earwigs at bay, you’ll have to be meticulous about your lawn care and structural maintenance. That might sound unappealing, but putting energy into these things is both necessary and worth it:
- Avoid having moist soil around the perimeter of your property.
- Place greenery, wood, and rocks two feet away or more from exterior doors.
- Routinely trim grass, plants, and shrubs.
- Direct downspouts and gutters away from the foundation.
- Attach sweeps to exterior doors.
- Have holes around foundations, doors, and windows sealed.
- Use dehumidifiers, especially in basements.
- Use yellow bulbs for outdoor lighting. Earwigs are drawn to white lights and often accumulate on porches and furniture cushions.
- Examine plants, packages, newspapers, and outdoor furniture before being them inside.
- Protect food by putting it in containers with tight lids.
- Evolve Pest Control Earwig Extermination
Earwigs will travel to any space of your Las Vegas home or business. Due to this, an assortment of treatment methods may be required to eliminate them. Moreover, it’s important that their entry points are addressed. If they aren’t, these unsightly and annoying bugs will continually return.
At Evolve Pest Control, we have quality and advanced pest solutions for businesses and homes to handle these matters so that you can rest easy. Our regularly trained technicians will utilize environmentally safe products to ensure no harm will be done to you, your family, your pets, or your property. We’ve assisted countless residents over the last 10 years and we look forward to serving you next. Call today for a free quote!